Director Park is a hidden gem in the heart of Portland. The park has been around for over 100 years and was initially created to teach children about nature. Today, it’s equipped with fun activities like four soccer fields, an off-leash dog park, and plenty of trails that are perfect for exploring.
If you’re looking for something new to do this weekend or want to get outside during your lunch break, Director Park should be on your radar!
History of Director Park
Director Park is a beautiful public park in the heart of downtown Portland. The park was designed by renowned landscape architect Lawrence Halprin and opened to the public in 1981.
Director Park was named after one of its primary donors, the Director family. Its history dates back to the early 1900s when Simon Director, a prominent Portland businessman, and philanthropist, paid for the construction of thousands of homes in what is now known as Southwest Portland.
Today, Director Park is a popular spot for locals and visitors alike. The park features a variety of amenities, including a children’s play area, fountain, public art, performance space, and more.
Things to Do in Director Park
Portland’s Director Park is located in the heart of Portland. It has many great activities to do, and you can spend hours there enjoying all it offers. Some of them include:
- Taking a walk through the park and enjoying all the different plants and trees.
- Having a picnic with friends or family in one of the many areas available.
- playing some games in the open spaces – such as frisbee, soccer, or catch.
- Visiting the playgrounds for fun with kids or letting your inner child out.
- Relaxing on the grass and taking in the sun or reading a book.
- Enjoying one of the many concerts or events hosted there throughout the year.
- Going for a walk around the pond
- Enjoying lunch at one of over 20 food carts
- Visiting the art gallery inside Building #37
There’s something for everyone at Director Park, and it’s worth a visit when in Portland!
What to See in Director Park
Director Park has been recently renovated with plenty of activities for visitors to enjoy. Here are some highlights from this fantastic place:
– A new playground built for young children
– A big field perfect for picnics, kite flying, and other fun activities.
– A new fountain that is gorgeous at night!
– A decent-sized skating rink in the winter
– Plenty of places to eat around the area, including a Starbucks and an Italian restaurant within walking distance.
– A great place to people-watch! You can see all sorts of exciting characters walking through the park.
– Sculptures and art installations are located throughout the park.
– Food Carts are located in the area if you get hungry!
There’s plenty to see and do in Director Park – so be sure to check it out when you’re in Portland!
What to Bring in Director Park
In visiting Director Park, do not forget to pack the following:
– Shoes – You’ll be walking around quite a bit, so make sure you wear comfortable shoes.
– Phone – Make sure to bring your phone in case of emergencies or if you need directions on where to go next.
– Camera – The park is very photogenic with lush greenery and beautiful water features, so be sure to capture it all!
– Sunscreen – The park is located in the sunny part of Portland, so you’ll want sunscreen on hand.
– Picnic Basket – If you’re planning on having a picnic, make sure to bring the essentials.
– Jacket – In case of rain or if it gets too cold.
– Bike – There’s a bike-sharing program in place for easy transportation.
– Cash – Some of the food carts and other amenities don’t take cards, so it’s best to have cash on hand!
– Sunglasses & Hat/Cap – To keep your eyes safe from sun damage or to help you stay cool.
– Bottled Water – It can get hot in Portland, so make sure to stay hydrated!
Annual Events in Director Park
Director Park – Every Saturday, the Portland Farmers Market has a booth at this park. It’s a great place to hang out and pick up some local produce or food products before exploring downtown.
SW Portland Jazz Festival – This free festival is a three-day event that takes place in Director Park every year. It features some of the best jazz musicians from all over the world.
Movies in The Park – Every Thursday during the summer, Director Park plays host to a family-friendly movie night. There are usually food carts and activities available before the movie starts.
PDX Jazz – This is a large jazz festival over four days in February. It features some of the best talents in the industry and attracts people from all over the world.
There are plenty of other events at Director Park throughout the year, so be sure to check out the website for more information.
How to Get to Director Park
Director Park is located at SW Salmon St and SW Ninth Ave, Portland. It’s near numerous hotels, mass transit stops, restaurants, parking garages, and other attractions.
From I-405, take the exit for Broadway and continue onto SW Broadway. Turn left on SW Park Ave and then right on SW Salmon St. From I-84, take the exit for Morrison/SW Third Ave and continue onto SW Morrison St. Turn right on SW Ninth Ave. There is metered parking available in the area and garages located off SW Main St or NW Davis St.
There are numerous bus stops near Director Park, including the Burnside Transit Station at SE Morrison & Front Ave and TriMet’s A Loop Max Line stop on NE Broadway & Weidler St. There is also a streetcar stop that runs along the park called the Portland Mall Carhouse Stop.
The park is open from sunrise to 11:00 pm and offers a playground for children, water fountains, flower gardens, sculptures, and an outdoor cafe that serves sandwiches, salads, and desserts during the summer months. There are also numerous benches in case you want to sit down or take a rest before continuing onto your next Portland attraction.
Director Park is a beautiful public park in the heart of downtown Portland that offers something for everyone. With its wide variety of activities, events, and places to eat, you won’t be disappointed with a visit to this unique park.
Address: 815 SW Park Ave, Portland, OR 97205, United States
Phone Number: +1503-823-8087
If you’re looking for a House Cleaning in Portland, you can book with us!
Next Thing To Do In Portland: