If you don’t think you’re quite up to the task of keeping a spotless and presentable home, you are not alone. From work to social events, kids’ activities, and more, most homeowners barely have a chance to catch their breath, let alone deep clean the oven.
That’s where a housekeeper can be a big help. But before you talk about how housekeepers are only for wealthy families (or those with their own sitcom), you should understand that professional home cleaning is more accessible and affordable than ever.
In fact, here at NW Maids, we’ve “maid” it our business to refer customers of all backgrounds and budgets to the best housekeeping and house cleaning service providers in the Pacific Northwest. Of course, if you’re new to the game, you might not know what goes into hiring this type of service or what it might cover.
So, what services do professional housekeepers actually provide?
It’s a simple question, but there’s more to the answer than you think!
Why Hire Professional Housekeeping Services?
A Neat and Tidy Space
A clean space is essential for healthy and happy living. Whether you have no time to clean or are simply not good at it, professionals can take care of the job effectively. Hiring help enables you to move through life quickly without having to worry about doing the dishes or cleaning the bathrooms. It offers you much–needed peace of mind that is necessary to function at your best. With a professional housekeeper by your side, you can utilize that time to work on yourself, your job, or your family.
No Supplies Needed
Stop worrying about always stocking up on cleaning supplies. With paid help, you can generally expect them to bring their own cleaning supplies. Sure, you can keep your own personal supplies for a quick touch up here and there, but you will never need enough for large-scale cleaning.
More Flexibility about Your Requirements
The good thing about hiring housekeepers is that you can pay for specific tasks that need completing. For example, if you are expecting guests, you might need deep cleaning of the guest room only. Once the guests leave, you can hire the service for any final touchups.
A Job Done Better
You might know your home better than a cleaning expert, but you might not necessarily know the art of precise cleaning. There might be things that are getting overlooked either because you don’t know how to clean them or don’t want to. Such spaces can include ceiling fans or even the different corners of your toilet. That’s because they aren’t very easy to access or may require special equipment to clean. A professional will ensure to clean out all the nooks and crannies of your house, regardless of how difficult they might be to clean.
Say Goodbye to Pet Shedding and Odor
Especially if you have a dog or cat as a pet, you can expect to clean your house more frequently. That’s because of all the shedding that comes with owning a pet. Furthermore, you can say goodbye to that unpleasant pet stink. Professionals will always keep your house clean and smelling fresh, so you don’t have to worry about guests unexpectedly stopping by for a visit. Moreover, you will always come home to a refreshed space, which is probably one of the best feelings.
More Cleaning Knowledge and Experience
It is a no-brainer that a professional housekeeper will do a better job looking after the nitty-gritty of house cleaning and maintenance. Their knowledge also allows them to know what supplies are to be used on what surfaces. You don’t want to use a product that will fade the color of your furniture or leave scratch marks all over your appliances. The professionals will use the right products on the right surfaces or avoid certain products altogether. This will ultimately ensure that your home is kept in the ideal condition.
When to Hire Professional Housekeeping Services?
You’re a Working Person
If your job keeps you away for long hours, the last thing you would want is to come home to a dirty and unkempt home. Take the time to pamper yourself and relax after a long day so you can be productive the next. A housekeeper will take this responsibility from you then do a great job fulfilling it.
You have a Busy Family or Social Life
Having children, pets, or a bustling social life might mean that your dirty dishes stack up and your furniture gathers dust. An expert housekeeper will lessen the burden, so you get more time to focus on your family and friends.
You Just Welcomed a New Baby
A newborn can really take a lot out of your time and energy, leaving you completely drained. Mothers have to take care of their babies full-time, so they definitely deserve to take a break from other household chores. Your housekeeper will make sure that everything is in order so you can catch your breath.
Cleaning Isn’t Your Forte
Cleaning is not easy and definitely not for everyone. It is nice, to be honest with yourself and get hired help if you feel that you can’t keep up with housekeeping demands. Even if you don’t mind cleaning your house, you might not necessarily be good at it. To make sure that your living space is in optimal condition, you will need to learn new ways to housekeep. If that seems like a lot of work, outsourcing professional help is the best way to go about it.
You are a Frequent Traveler
If you travel a lot due to work or leisure, your home will still need regular cleaning and maintenance. Furthermore, it poses a security concern if your house isn’t looked after once in a while. Hiring a housekeeper will ensure that your home stays clean and organized while you are away. Plus, it will give you peace of mind knowing that someone is keeping a watch on your house and personally checking if everything is in order.
What Services Do Housekeepers Provide?
One of the first things you should understand is that there’s a bit of a difference between a “home cleaner’ and a “housekeeper.” For instance, the former is someone you typically hire for big jobs or one-offs, while the latter is someone who makes more regular visits to your home.
Luckily, since NW Maids works with hundreds of service providers across both Oregon and Washington, we can easily satisfy all of your cleaning needs, regardless of how big, how small, or how frequent. That means we can use the terms “housekeeper” and house cleaner” interchangeably.
Another thing you need to understand about professional housekeeping services is that you’re the boss! While there are some jobs that a cleaner won’t do, most basic services are covered and priced to fit your budget and needs. As seasoned pros ourselves, NW Maids has streamlined the housekeeping experience by letting you book partial or full home cleaning based on the number of rooms in your home. If you want an extra service like oven cleaning, basement cleaning, or move-out deep clean, just add it on.
Once you have made a decision to hire housekeeping help, what can you expect from their services? At NW Maids, our professional housekeepers undertake the following tasks so you can relax and go about your day stress-free.
That said, let’s start with the basics:
Basic Cleaning Services
A clean house is always comfortable, inviting, and healthy. Our assistants have the necessary experience and qualifications to carry out a variety of basic cleaning services for your living areas, including bathrooms, kitchens, and dining areas. These services are:
Bedrooms and Living Areas
Areas like bedrooms and living rooms see a lot of foot traffic, so they tend to get cluttered, dusty, and distressed much faster than other parts of your house. These are some of the primary places where a housekeeper will focus their efforts. You can expect your service provider to:
- Dust all available surfaces. This means giving a detailed once-over to all countertops, shelving, tabletops, and other surfaces, as well as clearing any clutter or trash that might be on them.
- Wipe down all mirrors and fixtures. Glass and light fixtures can carry a lot of dust, spiderwebs, and other debris. A good polish will make them good as new again.
- Floor cleaning. Whether you have carpets, rugs, wood, or laminate, a big part of any regular housekeeping service is to clear those surfaces of clutter and then vacuum or mop them to a like-new finish.
- Pick up any linens, clothing, or other debris that might be present in each bedroom and put them in the agreed-upon spot. For kid’s rooms, a quick straightening up can make a big difference in no time at all.
- Garbage removal. Housekeepers not only clean up after themselves but also after you and your family. Any trash or recycling located in living area bins will be removed.
Bathrooms and Toilets
In the world of house cleaning duties, the bathroom has got to be on the bottom of everyone’s list. Unfortunately, the amount of heat and moisture this room sees every day makes it a breeding ground for mold, mildew, and stains. Fortunately, most housekeeping services cover the following:
- Wash and sanitize all “wet” surfaces. Tubs, sinks, showers, and toilets will all be wiped, brushed, and sanitized to a healthy glow. This removes mildew build-up and gives each surface a fresh, clean smell.
- Clean all mirrors and fixtures. Bathroom lights and mirrors will get a good polish with the appropriate cleaning solution.
- Clean all floor surfaces. Bathroom floors, bath mats, and rugs can get nasty very quickly. A good shake, mop, and polish is the perfect way to get them looking good as new again.
- Take out all the garbage. Those bathroom garbage bins are all too often neglected, but your housekeeper will make sure they get taken to the curb with the rest.
Kitchen and Dining Areas
Ask anyone, and they’ll tell you that the kitchen is the real “heart” of the home. As such, it is often the place where you and your family spend the most time. Depending on your needs, your housekeeper may offer to personalize your service. However, you can generally expect the following to be performed upon each visit:
- Dust all countertops and surfaces. Your maid will remove all the clutter from your countertops, disposing of the trash, and neatly arranging what you want to keep. After that, they’ll dust any and all available surfaces, including under and behind appliances, so you can come home to a crumb-free (and pest-free) kitchen.
- Empty the sink of dishes and load up the dishwasher. If your kids are the type to leave cups, plates, and glassware all over the kitchen, never fear! Your housekeeper will be happy to pick these up, rinse them off, and get them in the dishwasher so that you can have a fresh set of flatware when you get back.
- Wipe down your appliances. Your stove, fridge, and other appliances need frequent cleaning in order to look their best. Depending on the surface, your housekeeper will use the appropriate cleaning solution to get them looking like new again.
- Sweep and mop your floors. A nice clean kitchen floor is one of the most satisfying things in the world. Your housekeeper will remove any excess clutter, then mop every inch of your floor to a beautiful luster.
Special Services (Extra Charges Apply)
From Spring Cleaning to move-ins and move-outs, there are times when you simply need a little bit more than what’s listed above. In those instances, you can easily select from our list of specialized services, and your housekeeper will perform the assigned duty on their very next trip. This includes things like:
- Cabinet cleaning. Since they’re specifically designed to hold plates, glasses, and food, your cupboards and cabinets rarely get a good deep cleaning. This is a great optional service if you find yourself scared of what might be lurking behind those fruit snacks.
- Fridge and oven cleaning. Every few months, it’s a good idea to empty out your refrigerator and give it a deep cleaning. This can keep mold and stains from finding a spot to grow. Your oven is the opposite. Clearing it out with a powerful cleaning solution can keep that caked-on grease from becoming a smoky problem.
- Polishing interior windows. Window cleaning is typically its very own service, but we offer it as an add-on to save you both time and money. Your housekeeper will hit all of your interior windows from top to bottom for a 100% streak-free view.
- Deep cleaning. Every once in a while, you simply get the impression your house needs a good “once over.” That’s our deep cleaning package. Deep cleaning differs from regular in the sense that it pays special attention to neglected areas and covers even the smallest of spaces. If your house hasn’t gone through professional cleaning in a long time, it’s definitely in need of deep cleaning. You can also request additional services like cleaning interior windows inside the fridge, cabinets, and ovens. It includes everything listed in our normal packages, but we also take the time to really get into those nooks and crannies.
- Moving in/Moving Out Cleaning. There are two times in a homeowner’s life that they want their house completely spotless: when they move in and when they move out. Moving in or moving out are two of the most stressful and time-consuming processes. The last thing you want to add to your list is properly cleaning the place. Hire our services for a thorough top to bottom vacuuming, mopping, dusting, and wiping down kitchens, bedrooms, toilets, and dining rooms.We have our own special service to facilitate your relocation, and we’ll leave no stone unturned in making your entire home look “brand new” again.
- Ironing and Laundry. Washing or ironing a big pile of clothes is nobody’s favorite activity of the day. Our housekeepers can take that dreaded chore off of your shoulders and leave you with fresh, clean, and wrinkle-free laundry. We’re more than happy to do a load of laundry while we’re in your home. You simply need to leave detailed instructions on what’s to be washed, and we’ll have it waiting in the dryer when you come home.
- Vacuuming: We vacuum all the floors in your house, including tile floors, hardwood floors, stairs, and carpeted floors.
- Dusting: We meticulously dust each and every surface of your home and make sure that no little nook is left unattended. We also take care of the little details, like ceiling fans, lights, photo frames, decoration pieces, sunshades, furniture, and more.
- Mopping: We mop all floors, including hardwood, tile, and linoleum. Our housekeepers also make sure that all baseboards are also mopped and clean.
- Sanitizing: Sanitizing is essential, especially for areas subject to germ and bacterial buildups, such as bathrooms and kitchen sinks. Our services help you use these areas without any worries.
- Dry and Wet Wiping: We clean mirrors, glass surfaces, taps, and dressers by thoroughly wiping them down. If certain areas are infested with old gunk, mildew, or mortar, we take extra steps to vigorously scrub it out.
- Simple Touchups: After taking care of all the main duties, our professionals also offer final cleaning touchups such as fluffing pillows, straightening mats and rugs, and correctly positioning chairs.
- Taking out the trash: Our housekeepers also regularly take out trash and recycle it if needed.
- Interior Wall Cleaning. Dirt, dust, and bacteria can quickly build up on walls if you don’t clean them regularly. Ensuring that your walls are dirt-free will minimize the risk of allergies and asthma. Moreover, it will give your home a more organized and squeaky clean look. If your walls are looking extra grimy, we can offer a deep-cleaning service to restore its original charm. Our assistants use the best tools and techniques that will make your wall paint stay intact while getting rid of all the unwanted filth.
- Cleaning baseboards: We thoroughly clean, scrub and sanitize any dirty baseboards so there isn’t any dirt, dust, or icky material stuck in the crevices.
Additional Ad Hoc Services
A lot of housekeeping services are flexible when it comes to providing additional services to their customers. Some of which may involve:
- Meals and snack prep: Depending on your dietary requirements and preferences, housekeeping experts can prepare meals and snacks. You will not have to compromise on your taste or quality and come home to delicious meals. Once you are finished eating, you can expect them to clean the dishes afterward, too.
- Pet care: Some housekeeping services also provide you with pet care services, so you can rest assured that your furry friend is well-fed and stimulated. This can include taking them for daily walks, putting food in their bowl, and playing with them.
- Running errands: You can expect some housekeepers to run you small errands like dropping off laundry. However, you might want to first get in touch with the facility and see if the housekeeper is willing to undertake the duty. You can specify your instructions clearly when booking the service.
What Not to Expect From Housekeeping Services?
There are certain tasks and duties that you can’t expect from housekeepers. These generally include ones not listed in their job description or those that can put them in danger. Do not expect them to carry out tasks that are beyond their knowledge, expertise, or willingness.
Heavy Outdoor Cleaning
Outdoor cleaning that requires climbing on high levels to wash windows might not be the job for your regular housekeepers. This requires specialized equipment and expertise and otherwise can be quite dangerous for the person involved.
Your housekeeper is not a nanny, so it would be unreasonable for them to take up child care. Their main duties include cleaning and house maintenance, so make sure you limit your expectations to that.
Cleaning Human Feces
Human feces is not only extremely unpleasant, but exposure to it can also be quite dangerous. Call in a waste removal service if you are faced with such a problem.
Though housekeepers clean bathrooms, they do not specialize in unblocking drainage pipes or fixing any slight issues pertaining to them. If you face such a problem, it is best to call a plumber who will efficiently fix the problem.
The rule of thumb is that housekeepers do not move or carry anything that is over the weight limit of 35 pounds. This is to ensure their safety, so make sure you look for a service that especially caters to heavy lifting.
How to Prepare Your Home for Your Housekeeper
By now, the time-saving benefits of having a housekeeper should be pretty obvious. However, many first-time NW Maids customers often wonder what steps they need to take to prepare for their housekeeper’s arrival. Well, the good news is that you don’t need to do much cleaning, as that would eliminate the whole point! However, we’ve come up with a little checklist that can help make your first home cleaner visit a successful one.
- Don’t Worry About the Mess!
You hired a professional house cleaner, not an investigator to determine your home’s cleanliness rating. Don’t worry about making things presentable or cleaning up more than you would on an average day. Our service providers know exactly what to do to make your home shine again – that’s what you’re paying them for!
- That Said, Move Your Belongings
You may want to move any toys, clothes, books, and other clutter out of the way so that your cleaner can get at the surfaces more easily. The idea here is to protect your property, not to put you to work. When in doubt about whether they should move anything, your housekeeper will usually err on the side of caution.
- Be Detailed in Your Order Form
At NW Maids, we have a simple, easy-to-use order form that you can fill out every time you need service. This is a great time to talk about any special needs or requirements you might have. Want to ensure your grandmother’s fine China isn’t moved? No problem. Looking to get a little extra attention paid to your bathrooms? We have you covered. All you need to do is tell us.
- Don’t Sweat the Equipment
We ensure that every single service provider we work with has everything they need to clean your home before they arrive. We don’t want our customers to feel responsible for providing any paper towels, gloves, cleaners, or other materials. Just sit back, place your order, and enjoy coming home to a brand new house.
Professional Home Cleaning You Can Count On
At NW Maids, we’ve made providing affordable, reliable home cleaning to the Pacific Northwest our mission. As a housekeeper referral company, we give our customers instant access to the best cleaners throughout Washington and Oregon. Not only do we strive to make our services accessible, but we do our best to keep them affordable as well.
If you’re ready to make the professional cleaning commitment, call the team that knows how to get you what you want at a price you can afford. That’s NW Maids.
How Frequently Should You Hire Professional Housekeeping?
It is generally recommended that you hire housekeeping services to come and clean every two weeks. This is especially true if you have a big family, children, or pets. If you host guests and parties more often, you might also need help more frequently. However, at the end of the day, it all comes down to your personal requirements.
If you can’t remember the last time your house was last deep-cleaned, then you should definitely make an appointment as soon as possible.
Looking for professional house cleaning services that are flexible, high-quality, and easy to book? Check out our services and request your quote today. We are a team of experts that value your needs and specifications. All of our maids are background-checked, insured, and pleasant to work with, so you won’t have to worry about a thing. For more information about our pricing and packages, get in touch with us today!
We look forward to hearing from you.
Now that you know a little more about what professional housekeepers can do for you, it’s time to decide whether or not the investment is worth it.
Maid Service: Save Time Cleaning
Think about how much time you spend cleaning every week. Now multiply that number by two – that’s how much time you’d save by hiring professional help just once every two weeks. If your time is worth $15 per hour and you spend five hours cleaning each week, then you’re effectively spending $75 on cleaning every single week. Over the course of a month, that comes out to $300 – more than the cost of most professional services!
In addition to saving time, there are plenty of other benefits that come with hiring professional housekeepers. For starters, you can rest assured knowing that your home is in good hands. Our maids are all background-checked and insured, so you can relax while they take care of business.
What’s more, professional cleaners will always do a better job than you could ever hope to do on your own. They have the training, experience, and equipment necessary to get your home sparkling clean – something that’s impossible to achieve without professional help.
If you’re still not convinced, consider this: hiring professional housekeeping services is an investment in your mental health. A clean home has been shown to reduce stress levels, improve focus, and promote feelings of happiness and well-being. In other words, it’s good for your mind, body, and soul.
- What Does it Cost to Have A House Professionally Cleaned?
- How Much Does It Cost to Have Your Whole House Cleaned?
- How to Login and Manage Your Bookings
- How is NW Maids prepared for COVID-19 Coronavirus?