South Park Blocks
The South Park Blocks are three blocks in downtown Portland, Oregon. They were named for the south-facing slope they sit on and offer plenty of exciting things! The first block is home to an outdoor amphitheater and hosts many concerts. The second block has a small children’s amusement park and the Oregon Historical Society Museum. Finally, the third block features food carts and restaurants with open-air seating! If you’re looking for something to do in Portland, the South Park Blocks are a great place to start.
History of South Park Blocks
The South Park Blocks were developed in the 1880s and designed by Emanuel L. Mische, who also designed Portland’s Pioneer Courthouse Square and many other famous landmarks around Oregon! The three blocks of land that make up the park hosted a race track from 1884 to 1908 when it was developed into an extension for downtown Portland and has been home to many famous events since. The first block was completed in 1887, the second block in 1890, and the third block four years later!
The South Park Blocks got their name because they were initially built on an old cemetery! This makes them one of the oldest parks west of the Mississippi. The park was initially known as City Park and hosted the 1905 Lewis and Clark Exposition.
The Oregon Historical Society Museum is housed in one of the South Park Blocks, but that isn’t all it offers! There are interactive exhibits for kids to enjoy (including a fun play area), train rides around Portland throughout the day on the weekends, and fascinating historical exhibits.
The South Park Blocks are a great place to visit in Portland! Take the kids for some fun at the amusement park, see what is happening at the outdoor amphitheater or stop by and enjoy lunch with friends after visiting one of Portland’s museums near this famous landmark!
What to See at South Park Blocks
The South Park Blocks are a great place for people to watch and take in the cityscape.
– Outdoor Amphitheater: This amphitheater is home to many concerts and free events all year round!
– Portland Saturday Market: The Portland Saturday Market has been held on the South Park Blocks since 1974. It features over 250 artisans selling their wares along with food carts and live music. Be sure to check it out if you’re in town on a Saturday!
– Oregon Historical Society Museum: This museum is dedicated to the history of Oregon and is home to many exciting exhibits.
– The Little Playground: This small playground is perfect for kids and has a variety of fun activities, including a pretend grocery store and fire station.
– Portland Children’s Museum: This museum is devoted to children’s education and is excellent for kids of all ages!
World Forestry Center: This museum has an exhibit on the forests of Oregon and many other exhibits featuring animals. There are also two large theatres where you can view films about wildlife conservation.
– Food Carts: This block is home to various food carts with cuisines from all over the world. Be sure to check out some of Portland’s best street food!
– Restaurants: This block has several restaurants with outdoor seating, perfect for enjoying a sunny day in Portland.
– Portland Art Museum: The museum is home to many famous works, including the only public showing in the United States of Salvador Dali’s “Christ of St John on the Cross.” There are also some fantastic Asian art exhibits here.!
– World Trade Center: This building is home to many businesses and has a beautiful view of the city. Be sure to walk around the block and check it out!
– Pioneer Courthouse Square: This public square is one of Portland’s most famous landmarks and is often called “Portland’s living room.” It features a waterfall, a reflecting pool, and a walking path. There is also an amphitheater located on its edge, which hosts many festivals!
Events at South Park Blocks
If you’re looking for something to do in Portland, be sure to check out the South Park Blocks! This park is home to many different events.
– Portland Saturday Market: This is a weekly outdoor market that features hundreds of local artisans. It takes place on Saturdays from March to December, and the hours are Friday through Sunday, 11 am-‐‑‐‑pm.
– The First Thursday Art Walk: This event happens every first Thursday of each month, where many galleries and businesses in Portland’s downtown district open their doors for free admittance. The hours vary depending on the location and activity, but most start around five o’clock p.m.
– Farmers Market: This market takes place every Saturday from April to November between the first and second blocks on SW Park Avenue, starting at eight a.m.
– Movies in the Park: This event takes place every summer on various days and starts at dusk.
Some of the most famous events that have taken place in the South Park Blocks are:
-The Rose Festival Grand Floral Parade (since 1905)
-Oregon Shakespeare Festival (1935)
-Portland International Film Festival (1978)
-Oregon Book Awards Ceremony (1988)
-HIP HOP Summit and Concerts (1999)
-Tao Night Market (2013))
-Portland Art Museum’s Free First Thursday Nights (since 2007)
Where to Eat Near South Park Blocks
Several restaurants with outdoor seating surround the South Park Blocks so you can enjoy the great weather while eating delicious food. Some of the best choices include:
– Cheese Bar: This restaurant features many different types of cheese and a variety of wines. It also has outdoor seating where you can people-watch!
– Mio Sushi: This sushi bar is located between the second and third blocks on SW Main Street. It’s perfect for celebrating an occasion, as it always provides excellent service with delicious food!
– Pok Pok: This restaurant has a variety of traditional Thai dishes that are always delicious!
– Little Big Burger: Located between the first and second blocks, this burger restaurant is known for its long lines but worth it. Their fries are also excellent here, so be sure to try them out too!
Where to Shop Near South Park Blocks
The South Park Blocks are surrounded by shops that feature local brands and unique, one-of-a-kind items. Some great places to check out include:
– The Trailhead General Store: This is the perfect place for outdoor enthusiasts as it has everything from maps to camping equipment! It’s located between the first block and the second block.
– Chinatown: This is Portland’s oldest neighborhood and features many shops to check out! Be sure not to miss the Saturday Market here every weekend, or you can also find it on SW Alder Street.
– City Liquidators Warehouse Outlet: Want great deals while shopping? Check out this store between the second and third blocks on SW Park Avenue. It has a variety of items to choose from at low prices!
– City Market: This store features many types of food, wine, beer, flowers, crafts, and gifts that are perfect for any occasion or person you’re shopping for! It’s located between the second block and Pioneer Courthouse Square.
– Harper’s Books: If you love to read or need a new book, then be sure to check out this bookstore located between the third and fourth blocks on SW 11th Avenue! It has an extensive selection of titles for all ages, so there is something here for everyone. They also host many events with authors throughout the year!
– The Greenery: This store has a variety of plants and flowers for sale. It is located between the third and fourth blocks on SW 11th Avenue.
Where to Stay Near South Park Blocks
The South Park Blocks are surrounded by many hotels, inns, bed & breakfasts, AirBnBs, apartments, and more.
Here are some of the best:
– The Benson Hotel: This hotel offers luxurious rooms, a spa, and a pool. It is located between the first and second blocks on SW Broadway Street.
– Inn at Northrup Station: This inn is perfect for those who want to be in the heart of the action. It is located between the first and second blocks on NW Northrup Street.
– AirBnB: If you’re looking for a unique experience, then be sure to check out an AirBnB! There are many options to choose from that will fit any budget.
– The Jupiter Hotel: This hotel is a hip and trendy option that features many different rooms. It is located near the fourth block on SW 11th Avenue.
– The Mark Spencer Hotel: This hotel offers a variety of room options, an on-site restaurant, and free WiFi! It is located between the third and fourth blocks on SW Park Avenue.
– The Paramount Hotel: This hotel is located between the third and fourth blocks on SW Broadway Street. It features a restaurant, rooftop bar with views of downtown Portland, a fitness center, and more!
Where to Find Public Transportation Near South Park Blocks
The South Park Blocks are surrounded by many public transit options such as bus lines, bike lanes/racks, and light rail.
– Bus Lines: The bus lines that service the South Park Blocks area include the #35, #38, and #44.
– Bike Lanes/Racks: There are many bike lanes and racks located near the South Park Blocks for your convenience.
– Light Rail: A light rail is an excellent option for those who want to avoid traffic and get to their destination quickly. The closest stop to the South Park Blocks is the Pioneer Courthouse Square stop.
Address: 1436 SW Park Ave, Portland, OR 97201, United States
Phone Number: +1503-823-2525
If you’re looking for a House Cleaning in Portland, you can book with us!
Next Thing To Do In Portland: