Parkrose Heights Neighborhood, Portland, Oregon
Portland, Oregon, is an exciting city with many different neighborhoods. One of the most popular neighborhoods in Portland is Parkrose Heights. It’s a very diverse neighborhood that has something for everyone. There are parks, schools, and even shops nearby! This blog post will give you some information on this great neighborhood so you can decide if it’s right for you.
One of the best things about Parkrose Heights is its location. The neighborhood is close to several parks, including Gateway Green and Rocky Butte Natural Area. These parks offer plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation, whether you’re into hiking, biking, or simply relaxing in nature. In addition, there are several schools located in Parkrose Heights and a variety of shops and restaurants. This means that you’ll never be too far from what you need.
If you’re looking for a great neighborhood in Portland, Parkrose Heights is worth considering. It has something for everyone, and its location can’t be beaten. Check it out today!
History of Parkrose Heights Neighborhood
The Parkrose Heights neighborhood in Portland, Oregon, is a historic district listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. The district includes 150 contributing buildings, most of which were built between 1905 and 1935. It was developed as an upper-class streetcar suburb with large Craftsman and Colonial Revival homes on winding streets.
After the decline of streetcars in the 1950s, Parkrose Heights went into decline, but there has been recent interest in restoring and preserving the neighborhood’s historic character. In 2009, Parkrose Heights was designated as a Local Conservation Area by the city of Portland. This means that any new construction or alterations to existing buildings must meet specific design standards to protect the neighborhood’s historical character.
About Parkrose Heights Neighborhood
Parkrose Heights is a neighborhood near the city of Portland, Oregon. It is nestled between Northeast 82nd Avenue and Sandy Boulevard on the east side of Interstate 205. Parkrose Heights runs from NE 104th to 112th Streets in an area roughly south of NE Halsey Street and north of E Burnside Street for about two miles along Sandy Blvd.
The local shopping center at 122nd & Sandy hosts several bars and eateries that provide residents with plenty of options for both nightlife and fine dining. There are also many stores like Rite Aid Pharmacy, Green Apple Books (a used bookstore), CVS Pharmacy, Starbucks Coffee Shop, etc., providing daily necessities within walking distance from homes here; there’s even a hair salon, nail shop, and barber.
There is also a small shopping center with an Albertson’s Grocery Store on 122nd Ave., just south of NE Halsey St.; this location is about one mile west of the neighborhood’s business district, which runs along Sandy Blvd. This part of town has two public library branches; many churches in Parkrose Heights, including Bible Baptist Church, First Congregational United Church of Christ (UCC), Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral.
There is a public elementary school, Parkrose Heights Elementary School, in the area. The Sunnyside Environmental School is located in this neighborhood and serves as an alternative learning environment for students from Kindergarten to Eighth Grade.
Parkrose Heights homes are mainly traditional, with ranch-style homes being most popular here; there are also some mid-sized apartment buildings on 122nd Ave., east of NE Halsey St. The majority of the homes in Parkrose Heights were built between 1950 and 1980.
People living in Parkrose Heights are within easy access of several major roadways like I-84, I-205, and Sandy Blvd.; these roads enable residents with high speed commuting to central business districts throughout the metro area; people can reach downtowns like Beaverton, Hillsboro, Gresham, and Troutdale within minutes.
Facts About Parkrose Heights Neighborhood
– Parkrose Heights Neighborhood is located in Portland, Oregon.
The neighborhood boundaries are NE Prescott Street to the north, NE Sandy Boulevard to the east, E Burnside Street to the south, and NE 148th Avenue to the west.
– Parkrose Heights was annexed into the City of Portland in 1917.
– The population of Parkrose Heights was estimated at 5,000.
– The total number of housing units in the Parkrose Heights neighborhood was estimated at around 11,000.
– The most common type of housing in Parkrose Heights is single-family homes.
– The median home value in the neighborhood was estimated at $339,000 in 2016.
– In the Parkrose Heights neighborhood, 38 percent of residents have a bachelor’s degree or higher, and 11 percent speak a language other than English at home.
What’s in Parkrose Heights Neighborhood?
Parkrose Heights mix single-family homes, duplexes, apartments, and commercial businesses. It’s close to shopping, dining, parks, and other amenities. Some popular attractions near Parkrose Heights are:
– Forest Park. This is a large public park located within the city limits of Portland, Oregon, and includes more than 70 miles of trails shared by hikers, joggers, and cyclists.
– Moda Center. This sports and entertainment arena is the home of the Portland Trail Blazers National Basketball Association team and the Oregon Ducks NCAA Division I college basketball team. The center also hosts concerts, family shows, and other special events.
– Powell’s City of Books. This is the largest independent new and used bookstore in the world. It occupies an entire city block and stocks more than a million books. In addition to new and used books, Powell’s also sells magazines, comics, music, DVDs/Blu-rays, games, and toys.
– Oregon Zoo. This is the largest zoo in the Pacific Northwest and home to more than 2000 animals representing 300 species worldwide. The zoo is divided into six regions: Africa, Asia, Australia/New Zealand, North America, South America, and the Rainforest.
– Pittock Mansion. This is a French Renaissance-style chateau built in 1909 for Henry Pittock, the founder, and publisher of The Oregonian newspaper. After Pittock’s death, his wife sold the mansion to the city of Portland, and it now serves as a museum open to the public.
There are plenty of other things to see and do in Parkrose Heights Neighborhood, Portland, Oregon, so be sure to check out the neighborhood website for more information. And if you’re looking for a place to call home, be sure to check out the properties for sale and rent in Parkrose Heights. You’re sure to find something that fits your needs and budget!
Activities and Events in Parkrose Heights Neighborhood
In the Parkrose Heights Neighborhood, Portland, you will find several activities and events. In the summertime, head on over to The Star Theater, one of Oregon’s top venues for independent films, festivals, concerts, and private events. On weekends, there are also comedy nights, emphasizing local talent. By day, this theater features family-friendly programming such as “Movies at Midday,” where children can enjoy popular animated movies. At the same time, their parents take advantage of free wi-fi access in our lobby café or watch from behind specially designed screens, so they don’t have to miss any vital scene!
Another great place to visit in the summer is The Parkrose Heights Community Garden. This garden was created by partnering with Portland Parks & Recreation and the non-profit organization Friends of Parkrose Heights Community Garden. It offers residents of all ages a space to grow their fruits, vegetables, and flowers. In the garden, you will find raised beds, perennial gardens, fruit trees, berry bushes, and more!
In addition, during your stay in Parkrose Heights, you can attend various community events such as movie nights at The City Theatre or an outdoor summer concert at Montavilla Community Center featuring jazz ensembles from Portland State University. There are also several art galleries, including Green Dragon Artist Gallery, which features local artists’ work and live music on Friday evenings!
Things to Do Near Parkrose Heights Neighborhood
Things to Do Near Parkrose Heights Neighborhood, Portland, Oregon: Including Parks and Restaurants.
Parkrose Heights is an excellent neighborhood for parks with green grass areas and trees. These are perfect for fun activities such as picnics or camping in the backyard on lovely days when you can see bright blue skies through the leaves of lush green plants and flowers growing in your yard.
There’s also plenty of options if you want to go out to eat at some of Portland’s best restaurants with locally sourced ingredients. The restaurant scene here has exploded over the past few years, bringing foodies from all over town to check it out! You probably won’t find any destination cities that have better shopping than Portland, either. The city has a wide variety of shops for you to grab anything from vintage clothing to antiques and everything in between!
If you’re looking for House Cleaning Service in Portland, go with us!